Dear Fox Hill Families,
As a result of the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, the Fox Hill Crisis Team has met to review our security measures. The Fox Hill Crisis Team recommended a change in our parent pick up dismissal procedure to make our school a bit more secure. I met with Detective Fournier and Officer Schipelliti and consulted with Dr. Conti and Mr. Larkin to develop and make the following dismissal change.
Effective Wednesday, January 30, 2013 and during the 2:35 pm dismissal only.
- Parents who pick up their children in a car during the 2:35 pm dismissal time will drive along the Fox Hill access road and the first car will stop parallel to Fox Hill School recess doors.
- Cars will form a single line and parents will remain in their cars.
- Teachers will walk all parent pick up students out to a designated spot at 2:35 pm and teachers will dismiss students one at a time to the first two cars in line.
- Students will enter the car on the left hand side of the car.
- Once students are in the car and the car door is closed, parents proceed to the parking lot and exit Fox Hill School via the second row.
Parents who have indicated that “Parent Pick Up” is their child(ren)’s regular dismissal choice are to follow the above procedure.
Any parent who:
- sends a different driver to pick up their child other than the usual driver must send a note to the classroom teacher stating the change of driver that includes their full name. Students will not be dismissed to a different Parent Pick Up driver without a note from a parent.
- changes their usual dismissal routine to Parent Pick Up must send a note to the teacher indicating this change in dismissal plans.
- needs to make a last minute decision to “Parent Pick Up” must call the school office no later than 2:15pm.
- Is late for the Parent Pick Up line must come to the main office to pick up and sign out their child. Teachers must report to bus duty when the first bus is called for dismissal. Teachers will bring parent pick-up children to the main office to wait for late parents.
Students who walk will be dismissed from the main lobby door and are called “Walkers.” Walkers are defined as anyone who walks home from Fox Hill School. Students who are picked up by an adult in a car will be dismissed from the playground side of Fox Hill School and are called “Parent Pick-Up.” Parent Pick-Up is defined as anyone who rides home in a car.
Officer Schipelliti will be at Fox Hill School on January 30, 2013 to observe and assist parents during this 2:35 pm dismissal change. Also, orange cones will mark the entrance of the access road, the stopping point for the first car and the second row in the parking lot to exit Fox Hill School.
Thank you in advance for accepting and supporting this change. Also, I ask for your patience and understanding during the first few weeks as we work to learn and implement this change. While we will miss seeing you in our main lobby, we know you recognize and understand the importance of making changes that keep our school safer.
*Please note that our kindergarten parent pick up dismissal procedure will remain the same and will NOT change.
If anyone has any questions, please contact me at EJohnson@bpsk12.org.
Fox Hill School